Saturday, September 19, 2009

Praying Psalm 3

The background of Psalm 3 is that David's son, Absalom, led a nearly successful attempt to overthrow his father. The situation looks hopeless, but David's trust in God fills him with peace and security. Have you ever been in a situation that looks like no matter what you do, it will end in disaster? Who or what do you turn to in such times? Do you draw nearer to God or do you turn to someone or something else? David gives us a perfect example of what to do when he writes in Psalm 3:3-4: (NASB) "But You, O Lord, are a shield about me, My glory, and the One who lifts my head. I was crying to the Lord with my voice, And He answered me from His holy mountain. Selah." "Selah" is a notation at the close of a thought and directs one to reflect upon its enduring significance. Like David, it is good to stop and meditate on God's glory and His being a shield to you.

The Treasury of David explains the shield and glory as: "The word in the original signifies more than a shield; it means a buckler round about, a protection which shall surround a man entirely, a shield above, beneath, around, without and within. Oh! what a shield is God for his people! He wards off the fiery darts of Satan from beneath, and the storms of trials from above, while, at the same instant, he speaks peace to the tempest within the breast. Thou art "my glory." David knew that though he was driven from his capital in contempt and scorn, he should yet return in triumph, and by faith he looks upon God as honouring and glorifying him. O for grace to see our future glory amid present shame! Indeed, there is a present glory in our afflictions, if we could but discern it; for it is no mean thing to have fellowship with Christ in his sufferings." Oh, that you and I could see this truth. How can we appropriate this truth to our lives? It begins by praying the psalm back to God.

Today, meditate and pray the 3rd Psalm as follows: You, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the One who lifts my head. I cry to you Lord with my voice, and You answer me from Your holy mountain. Selah. You sustain me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people who have set themselves against me round about. Arise, O Lord; save me, O my God! For You have smitten all my enemies on the cheek; You have shattered the teeth of the wicked. Salvation belongs to the Lord; Your blessing be upon me! Selah.

No comments: