Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Sunday

Yesterday, the church celebrated Easter Sunday. It was a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. You know the story; because He lives, we can live. Because Jesus died, we can live. Because He rose from the dead, we also will rise from the dead. My family celebrated the day by attending a private service that I conducted. I spoke of the pagan roots of "Easter." I taught that it was not the best approach to select one day of the year and celebrate the resurrection. Instead, I suggested that we should celebrate the resurrection of Yeshua every day of the year. We should approach each day with excitement that Yeshua lives; that He has conquered death and hell. It should not be restricted to a single occurrence in a 365 day period.

After the service, our family attended a theme park near by. While waiting for a show to begin in a packed auditorium, the woman behind me said to her friend, "Here it is Easter Sunday and all these people are going to hell." I wanted to ask her, "Does that include you?" Further, I wanted to ask her did she really believe what she said? If you really believed that, why would you not shout at the top of your lungs that everyone was in danger? If the theater was on fire, you would have no problem in yelling, "Fire!" Then, I wanted to ask her why everyone was going to hell? Does God not like Celtic dancing? Or, was it because it was taking place on Easter Sunday? The celebration of the holiday "Easter" is a pagan holiday. It is about fertility rites. That is why the symbols of bunnies and eggs are prominent. I am convinced that Elohim would not send anyone to hell because they did not celebrate Easter Sunday. The true holidays are Passover, Feast of Unleavened Bread, and First Fruits. They are Biblical; Easter is not.

A further question I had was, "What type of God did the woman behind me worship?" Was He a loving God that extends grace and mercy up to a point, and immediately upon the death of the person transform into an angry, violent, and vengeful deity? What you believe about people who don't agree with your faith tells others about the God you believe in. So, what does your God look like?

No comments: