Thursday, March 28, 2013

Lord, God, or Yahweh

The way the sacred Name of Yahweh has been handled throughout the centuries was prophesied in such passages as Jeremiah 23:27, which states: "Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbor, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal." (KJV) Baal means "Lord" according to Hebrew lexicons. You have forgotten my sacred Name for “LORD”, Yahweh spoke through the prophet. To call upon the “LORD” is to call on Baal. Now consider many of your “worship” songs.

"God" comes from Old English gheu(d), "to pour" (American Heritage Dictionary). According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, “god” means a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically: one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality. Sha’ul (Paul) says there are many lords and many gods. Do not disrespect Yahweh to just another common deity by replacing His Sacred Name with other titles. He speaks through the prophet in Isaiah 42:8, "I am Yahweh: that is my name: and my honor will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images."

Yahweh established His Name in the Ten Commandments. It is spiritually very dangerous for man to substitute man’s names for His Sacred Name. That would be the equivalent of man making Yahweh into man’s image. He is not “LORD” or “god.” His Name is Yahweh. Why would you try to change it? Why would you want to?

No comments: