Saturday, May 22, 2010

Why I Eat A Kosher Diet

As a gentile follower of Yeshua, I am sometimes asked why I eat a Kosher diet. Before I explain my reasoning, I would like to describe what a Kosher diet is. The following are some general rules:
1. "Certain animals may not be eaten at all. This restriction includes the flesh, organs, eggs and milk of the forbidden animals.
2. Of the animals that may be eaten, the birds and mammals must be killed in accordance with Jewish law.
3. All blood must be drained from meat and poultry or broiled out of it before it is eaten.
4. Certain parts of permitted animals may not be eaten.
5. Fruits and vegetables are permitted, but must be inspected for bugs (which cannot be eaten)
6. Meat (the flesh of birds and mammals) cannot be eaten with dairy. Fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grains can be eaten with either meat or dairy. (According to some views, fish may not be eaten with meat).
7. Utensils (including pots and pans and other cooking surfaces) that have come into contact with meat may not be used with dairy, and vice versa. Utensils that have come into contact with non-kosher food may not be used with kosher food. This applies only where the contact occurred while the food was hot.
8. Grape products made by non-Jews may not be eaten.
9. There are a few other rules that are not universal."

I do not believe that the rules are practiced today for health reasons. For example, pork may be thoroughly cooked so as to be safe to eat (and many churches have B-B-Q dinners), but it is prohibited by Torah. Shrimp, clams, and oysters may be prepared so they are delicious and healthy, yet they are prohibited by Torah. So why do I obey Torah restrictions from thousands of years ago? The simple reason is that I believe that in the journey of following Yeshua, I am to seek to make every moment a sacred occasion. Whether I am in a worship service or eating lunch, I am to make that occasion sacred before G-d. I am to set apart that activity unto the Lord. While I could choose to eat what I want, in doing so, I am removing the sacredness from the event. When I am in charge, G-d isn't. Therefore, I choose to place G-d in charge even of my diet. When I eat the way G-d wants me to eat, I make that event special. Eating becomes worship and an event that brings glory to G-d. It causes me to be a witness of the Kingdom of Heaven operating in my life. Eating is not just the consumption of food when done according to G-d's instructions. When I obey Torah, that moment in time becomes sacred when I eat in obedience to His Word. And that is better than any pork B-B-Q sandwich!

No comments: