Sunday, May 23, 2010

Why I Keep The Sabbath

The first reason is found in Exodus 20:8-11: Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it. (RSV) The first reason is because G-d in His Word said to do so. I do not believe that I should substitute my judgment for His. I know that man changed the day of worship to include those that worshipped the "Sun-God." However, the Word of God never changed the day from the Sabbath to Sunday.

The second reason is that Yeshua kept the Sabbath. If I am going to be His follower, then I should follow Him and do what He did. If He was physically on the earth today, do you think He would attend a Sabbath or a Sunday service? If you say both, I suggest that you are becoming your own "god" because there is no Biblical support for such a position. I know the verse about where two or three or gathered, but that is not the question. The question is, where would Yeshua attend services today and the best evidence is to look at what He did when He did attend services. A side issue is how He kept the Sabbath. Now there is no doubt that some Pharisees disputed the way He remembered the Sabbath, but it is equally beyond challenge that He did keep the Sabbath.

A final reason is that G-d has sanctified a measure of time as sacred. I would like to participate in the sacredness of time, and that time is the Sabbath. When my family gathers around the candles and they are lit, we sense that we are entering a moment of sacredness. My wife is blessed, the children are blessed, and we share a meal. It is an unique moment in time. It is the Sabbath and I intend to keep it. What do you with that period of time? Is it sacred, or is it your time?

No comments: