Friday, July 30, 2010

Daily Word: I Will Be

We are going to continue to spend time developing a Hebraic approach to the Scriptures so that the Word of God will become more meaningful for us. We want the Word of God to be properly understood and interpreted. We will do this by studying the Scriptures from a Hebrew perspective. Today we look at John 18:4,5: "Yahushua therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? They answered him, Yahushua of Nazareth. Yahushua saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them." The crowd was looking for Yahushua and Yahushua responds to them by asking the question in verse 4. Modern translations do not translate what is really occurring. Yahushua's response in the original language is "I AM (and not "I am he")." There is no "he" in the writing. The translators added "he" in attempt to clarify. Their clarification almost serves to mislead us. Instead, Yahushua is making a clear connection to the words spoken by God to Moses in Exodus 3:14: "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you." Actually, the better Hebrew translation is : "I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE." This means that our God will be whatever He needs to be to bring Him glory in our lives. He is the great I WILL BE!

Yahushua was identifying Himself with the Father and voicing His authority. The power of this authority is seen in the results: they fell backyard and to the ground. Yahushua repeats the phrase "I WILL BE" in verses 6 and 8. The Jews present clearly understood what Yahushua was saying. Some "scholars" argue that Yahushua never claimed to be the Son of God. If one relied on English translations, one might be tempted to give their claim some consideration. However, once one understands the Hebraic meaning behind the actual words of the text, all claims that Yahushua never identified Himself as Messiah fall backward to!

Today, remember that Yahushua spoke with the power and force of the great I WILL BE. His words are just as powerful today as they were then. His words still bring salvation, deliverance, healing, and protection. He is God; He is our Savior. He has given His authority of I WILL BE to His disciples. May our lives demonstrate His power.

No comments: