Saturday, July 3, 2010

Daily Word: Our Daily Bread

Proverbs 30:8 says: Keep lies and false words far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but provide me with my daily bread.... (JPS) The JPS Study Bible comments: "Agur (the writer of this Proverbs 30) asks, first, to be kept from lies and, second, to be given possessions in moderation. Excess wealth may make one overconfident, and poverty too can corrupt." Have you ever known someone who lied continually? I have and I can tell you that I don't want them around either. People can so twist the truth for their own good, that it makes it hard to be around them. Agur must have learned this hard truth from experience.

Notwithstanding the promises of television evangelists, it can be better to be neither rich nor poor. Agur asks only for his daily bread. That sounds familiar, doesn't it? The Lord's Prayer contains the same request: "Give us this day our daily bread." Jesus appears to agree with Agur. Something can happen to someone with money issues. If the issue is a lack, I have seen people do things that they would not ordinarily do because they need money. On the other hand, I have seen people with an excess of money become arrogant and prideful. Truly, a love of money is a root of many sins. Agur's request for moderation will keep him from falling into a ditch on either side of the road, i.e. too much money or too little money. We would do well to remember this proverb.

Today, consider your approach toward money. Do you really want just your daily bread, or do you want more? If you want more, is it because that you want to have enough money so you can buy your daily bread tomorrow if God doesn't provide it. The real issue is trust not money. Don't rationalize the truth, instead embrace it.

No comments: