Thursday, July 5, 2012

Come to the Pork BBQ! Jesus Will Be There! Part 2

There have been a number of responses to the post "Come to the Pork BBQ! Jesus Will Be There!" I thought I would provide some of my thought process that went into the post. My thinking was as follows:
1. After the resurrection, Yeshua is with His disciples for 40 days and He speaks to them concerning the kingdom of God (Acts 1:3).
2. Whatever He taught the disciples did not convince Peter to break the dietary rules as he states in Acts 10:14 that he had not eaten anything unclean. It had been more than a decade since Pentecost and Peter is still keeping Kosher. So either we can assume that Yeshua did not teach the disciples to disregard the dietary rules or Yeshua did change the dietary rules and Peter misunderstood His teachings. Certainly the former seems more likely. You would think that if YHVH intended to end the Kosher rules, this would have been a great time to have done so. To those that point to Peter's vision in Acts 10, that vision is not about food it is about people.
3. There is no Bibilcal evidence that Yeshua broke the dietary commandments.
4. Since I profess to be a disciple, i.e. a follower of Yeshua, I should do what He did. If He did not eat pork, then I should not. The church may teach otherwise, but I am a disciple of Yeshua and not a disciple of the church.
5. The point is that if Yeshua attended the pork BBQ, would He eat the pork? If He would not, how could I stand next to Him and do so and honestly claim to be following Him.

I have written several articles that seek to point out the difference between what Yeshua did and how He lived versus what the modern church has taught about Him. My desire is that they serve as a challenge to think about what we are doing and adjust our actions to be more like Yeshua. My points are simple and twofold:
1. Yeshua was a Torah observant Jew; and
2. The church, which is the body of Christ, isn't.