Wednesday, October 29, 2008

How Simple Is Your Gospel?

The other day I had to spend a lot of time in my car driving. I turned on a Christian station to listen to some Bible teachers. After about 30 minutes, I became so discouraged by what I had been listening to, that I turned it off. There was a tremendous amount of what is called "proof texting." This is a term that refers to taking a verse of Scripture out of context to prove some point. In the programs I listened to, the point they wanted to prove was that I needed to purchase a Cd series that would help me to live a blessed life and fulfill my divine destiny. I began to talk to God about how I thought His message was simple and not complex. Matthew 13:44 says: "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field." Now there are two ways to interpret this passage; I want to focus on the one that explains that the man is the one seeking the truth of the Gospel. When he discovered the treasure of the Gospel, he sold all he had to purchase it. There was nothing in the world that was worth as much as the treasure of the Kingdom of Heaven. It was a simple process; give up all you have for the one most important thing, the Gospel of Jesus Christ

The Peoples New Testament Commentary explains the verse as follows: "Valuables which, with us, are entrusted to banks, are in the East buried in fields and gardens to save them from robbers and accidents. This parable teaches the immense value, priceless, of the gospel; and that one who finds out that value will give up everything else in order to possess himself of the privileges and hopes of the kingdom."

Today, I ask you: "Have you given up everything to receive the treasure of the Gospel?" You can not purchase the treasure by a short prayer, joining a church or by doing good works. You only get the treasure of the Kingdom of Heaven when you forsake all and follow Jesus. The treasure is for all that will come having forsaken the things of the world. Do you have the treasure today? If you do, thank God for the precious gift of Jesus; if not, drop the allurements of the world and obtain the treasure by trusting completely in the shed blood of Jesus. It really is very simple.

No comments: