Friday, June 19, 2009

The Testimony of Martin Wells Knapp

My oldest son graduated from the Bible School founded by Martin Wells Knapp. Below is Knapp's testimony of being filled with the Holy Spirit:

"Fourteen years have I passed since I crossed the Red Sea, and I have never for a moment felt like returning to Egyptian bondage. Glory to God in the highest for such wonderful deliverance!

"For nine years I tarried in the Sinai Wilderness experience. I was converted, and knew it, loved God and His people, worked for Him as well as I could, saw many souls converted, and grew in knowledge and experience; but my temper, which was quick often made me conscious that I was not possessed with all the mind of Christ. I was hampered with selfish ambitions, joking and teasing tendencies, and the movements of the carnal mind. Inbred sin sought to expel the holy power that bound it, and there were frequent struggles within between the two contending principles. I needed the blessing mentioned in the following song-prayer of a well-known poet:

"Savior of the sin-sick soul,
Give me grace to make me whole;
Finish Thy great work of grace,
Cut it short in righteousness.

Speak the second time, 'Be clean;'
Take away my inbred sin;
Every stumbling-block remove,
Cast it out by perfect love."

I had read much on the subject of heart-purity, but never heard a sermon on it. I knew that the Bible clearly taught cleansing from inbred sin and the fullness of the Spirit as the privilege of every believer. I reasoned: "God does not do things by halves. I know that He converted me and that I am His child; therefore I must be saved from inbred sin." The fact, however, that it was in my heart, and that I often was painfully conscious of it, was stronger than my argument, and confused me. I said, "I'll keep it down;" but instead of that, it kept me down. Then I said, "It must be a growth; I'll grow into it." I did grow into the knowledge of self and Christian privilege, but made little progress in the grace of perfect love. How it pains me that in my dullness I tarried so long in the shallow waters, but the great deep of God's love was continually inviting!

In November, 1882, I permitted the Lord to lead me to Kadesh-Barnea, on the borders of the promised land. By His grace I then and there entered the land, receiving the blessed baptism of the Spirit that cleanses from inbred sin and fills with perfect love. In June I had appointed a three days' special service for myself and people to seek this longed-for experience. Rev. William Taylor and wife, two noble workers who had the fullness of the Spirit, were invited. It was a time of heart-searching. Their testimonies and teachings were clear and given in all humility, and convinced me all the deeper of my great need and privilege. I received great help at that time, but not the consciousness that the great work; was wrought.

In November the crisis came. I had been preaching full salvation, but could lead my people no further than I had gone myself. I set apart a time to settle the matter. God met me and gave me the promise: "If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin." The blessed Holy Spirit explained it to my heart, and helped me to take hold of it right then and there. He suggested, "Why not believe on the authority of His Word that God is doing just what He agrees to do just now?" I was conscious that the conditions upon which the promise was based were being met, and could see no reason why I should not, and replied, "Lord, I do." In an instant I was made conscious of my cleansing. The giants fled, the "walled towns" crumbled, and Canaan, through Christ, was possessed. To God be all the glory!

The "fullness" soon followed. I saw then where my trouble had been. I had not dared to venture on the promise and trust in the present tense. I thanked God for the victory given, and asked that, in order with greater confidence I might publicly proclaim and urge the experience, that He would give me still further unmistakable evidence of its reality. I retired looking for something more. I was not disappointed. Instead of some thing, some One came -- the One altogether lovely, even Christ Himself. I had slept about an hour when I was suddenly awakened by what sounded like three distinct knocks on the front door. In an instant I was made just as conscious of the Divine presence as ever man was of the company of an earthly friend. I felt the presence of a gentle, unseen power upon my head. Then a wave of Divine power and love, causing a sensation something like an electric shock, only inexpressibly pleasurable, rolled over my entire being. Then three impressions were made just as vividly as if uttered by an audible voice:

1. "This is the added evidence you prayed for."

2. "You are healed of your disease."

3. "A definite call to especial evangelistic work."

A few days after my wife received a call to the same work. Since then she has triumphantly passed to brighter realms above.

For years I have been sufferings from the effects of a sunstroke. It had taken me from my studies, and threatened to prostrate me completely. Every year of my preaching, some had thought, would be my last. Physicians said my only hope was to stop and rest. The physical cure wrought was perfect. Both the spiritual and physical blessings stand the test of toil and time. Great and gratifying as the physical healing is, I count it a mere shadow compared with the spiritual uplift then received. My wife says I have been a changed man. My members said there was a marked improvement in my preaching. Teasing, foolish jesting, and selfishness, by the Divine Plowman, were rooted out, and the Spirit's graces implanted in their stead...

No comments: