Friday, June 12, 2009

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right

Once, in an inquiry-meeting, a gentleman was weeping very bitterly, and said, "What is the matter with you? " "Matter enough. I am a member of the Baptist church, and two years ago the trustees got me to do a piece of work on the church, and when they settled with me I thought they did not treat me exactly as they ought to, and I said, "I won't have anything more to do with this church -- won't go to communion here again." So I went off; and there is that dear daughter" (a young lady sat there, weeping as if her heart would break); "she was converted and baptized into the church just before that. Now she is backslidden, and my wife is backslidden, and my home is broken, and I have no family altar, and all is sad."

The listening man said, "My dear sir, have you found out that two wrongs don't make a right?" "Yes," said he, "I see it now." You know, there are a great many people who think, if somebody does a little wrong, that if they do a little wrong, it will make it right. There are not many gray hairs in my head, but there will be a great many more than there are today before you make me believe that two wrongs make a right." "No, no!" Said I, "What are you going to do about it?" "I am going back to the church to make a confession, and the trustees can do as they please. I am going to be right in my heart toward God and man."

If this lesson would be applied to all relationships, especially in marriages, it would prevent a mountain of pain and hurt. Two wrongs never make a right, even if for a moment it brings some small degree of satisfaction.

No comments: