Sunday, June 13, 2010

Daily Word: Honest Words

Proverbs 24:25-26 says: But it shall go well with them who decide justly; Blessings of good things will light upon them. Giving a straightforward reply is like giving a kiss. (JPS) The JPS Study Bible comments: "Them who decide justly, or 'those who give reproof.' Honest words, like kisses, are an expression of love and one who reproves others, though ostensibly harsh, will receive praise and good wishes in the end." Our society stresses tolerance and a "live and let live attitude." We are taught that as long as what you are doing does not directly affect me, I should be tolerant and silent. How does this approach match with the wisdom of Proverbs?

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you needed to give someone some, "honest words?" I have and candidly, it has rarely been received in the short term. However, in the long term, the benefit becomes real. Years ago, I tried to help a young man. I gave him the truth he needed to hear. He got mad and said some things that were less than complimentary. He tried to undermine me in our business and it was very hurtful. Ten years later, he called me "out of the blue." He wanted to apologize. He thanked me for all my wife and I had done for him. He was a dad now and had turned his life around. He was genuinely sorrow and genuinely appreciative of the "honest words" I have given him a decade earlier.

Today, do not shy away from situations that require you to give someone some honest truth. Pray before you speak, but don't be afraid to speak. The words of Scripture give us the best advice, even though it may be a bit bumpy. Know that when you give someone some honest words, it is like a kiss. It is a tender act. It is act of love.

No comments: