Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Praying Psalm 7

Psalm 7 deals with the onslaught of vicious schemers. David recognizes that the generous of spirit seem powerless to deal with the wicked. His point is that the righteous must take heart in the knowledge that they will eventually prevail over the wicked, who will ultimately fall victim to their schemes. The bottom line: the wicked may look like they are getting away with their evil ways, but they are not. Psalm 7:1-5 says: I come to you for protection, O Lord my God. Save me from my persecutors—rescue me! If you don’t, they will maul me like a lion, tearing me to pieces with no one to rescue me. O Lord my God, if I have done wrong or am guilty of injustice, if I have betrayed a friend or plundered my enemy without cause, then let my enemies capture me. Let them trample me into the ground and drag my honor in the dust. (NLT) David cries out to God for protection and boldly declares his innocence. Can we do the same?

The Treasury of David explains David's claim of innocence as: "The second part of this wandering hymn contains a protestation of innocence, and an invocation of wrath upon his own head, if he were not clear from the evil imputed to him. So far from hiding treasonable intentions in his hands, or ungratefully requiting the peaceful deeds of a friend, he had even suffered his enemy to escape when he had him completely in his power. Twice had he spared Saul's life; once in the cave of Adullam, and again when he found him sleeping in the midst of his slumbering camp: he could, therefore, with a clear conscience, make his appeal to heaven. He needs not fear the curse whose soul is clear of guilt." Some older hymns speak of having the slate wiped clean or having settled the question or having the account being settled long ago. Is this your testimony? Can you go before God and proclaim your innocence? It is good when one can stand before God with the account of sin settled.

Today, consider the following prayer adapted from verses 6-9:
Arise, O Lord, in anger! Stand up against the fury of my enemies! Wake up, my God, and bring justice! Gather the nations before you. Rule over them from on high. The Lord judges the nations. Declare me righteous, O Lord, for I am innocent, O Most High! End the evil of those who are wicked, and defend the righteous. For you look deep within the mind and heart, O righteous God.

No comments: