Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Praying the Psalms

The Psalms provide an excellent model for prayer and worship. David wrote many of them during times of joy, sorrow, stress and brokenness. Every emotion is covered and they will serve us well to pray them. Psalm 1:1-3 says: How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers. (NASB) This Psalm sets forth the two ways: those that follow the Torah, i.e. of God or those that follow the wicked or sinners. Jews make a distinction between the latter two. A wicked person promotes lawlessness and a disregard for Torah, while the sinful one errs unintentionally. Yet, they are lumped together.

What is the benefit to those that meditate day and night on Torah? He will be nourished like a tree planted by a stream of refreshing water. He will yield fruit in the correct season. His leaf will not wither. This speaks of both health and decay, of abundance and inadequacy. On a tree that we might not expect to find fruit, there will be leaves that speak of life and health and God's blessing. This depicts the vital relationship between God and man. Do you think that you are not able to bear fruit for the King? Do not despair; meditate on Psalm 1 and trust His Words and not your thoughts.

Mediate (speak softly to your self the following adaptation of these first three verses:
I am blessed because I do not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor do I stand in the path of sinners, Nor will I sit in the seat of scoffers! But my delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law I meditate day and night. I am like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, I yield fruit in its season And my leaf does not wither; And in whatever I do, I prosper.

No comments: