Friday, April 23, 2010

A Hebraic Approach to Prayer

This week I was contacted by the pastor of a church and was asked if I would meet with him. He explained that while he "knew he had G-d," he just needed to talk to someone. I met with him and asked him what the problem was. He explained that he knew he must be doing something wrong because every thing was falling apart. His church had not been able to pay him, he was losing his apartment, and the bank was trying to repossess his car. I listened. I have seen so many walk this path of self destructive criticism. Many Christians feel like that if something goes wrong in their life that it is their fault. I explained this to him and told him that the reason people fall into this trap is that they seek to have the ultimate control of their lives. If it is my fault or if I have caused the problem, then I can adjust my behavior to insure that it never occurs again. To blame yourself is to remove G-d as the decision maker and place your self in control.

I have written theologies on Hebraic prayer, but when facing someone who is in dire need of help, that is not what they need. I explained that some times bad things just happen to good people. It just does. We live in a fallen world. I advised him that this did not mean that we live our lives randomly with just a hope that nothing bad happens to us. The answer to the man's dilemma is found in the Hebraic approach to prayer.

Christians have a different approach to prayer that the Jews. Christians come with a list of needs for themselves or others. Prayer becomes an exercise in informing or educating G-d on the situation. If I can find the right formula, I will ensnare G-d and force Him into making my situation better. The Hebraic approach is all about getting into the presence of G-d. It is about thanking G-d for what He has already done as opposed to asking for something in the future. I explained to the minister that he should begin a pattern of prayer that simply worships G-d and give Him thanks. I told him not to ask G-d for anything. Just praise and thank Him. Further, I explained that G-d had established certain laws of nature such as seed time and harvest. I told him that G-d had given him the breath of life, a strong body, and a good mind. I told him to work hard and not quit. No matter what it looked like, just don't quit.

I pray several times a day, and I use several Jewish prayers such as The Shema, The Amidah, and the Adon Olam. I also repeat what is called, "The Lord's Prayer." Then, I ask G-d to interfere with the laws of nature to heal one of my children from a condition he was born with. That is the only request I make of G-d. The rest of my prayer time is thanking and worshipping the King of the Universe. I left the brother with one final thought, "No matter what occurs in your life, He is still G-d, and He is still on the throne." That is the Hebraic way.

No comments: