Monday, June 14, 2010

Daily Word: Avoiding Poverty

Proverbs 24:30-34 says: I passed by the field of a sluggard, by the vineyard of a man without sense; and lo, it was all overgrown with thorns; the ground was covered with nettles, and its stone wall was broken down. Then I saw and considered it; I looked and received instruction. A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man. (RSV) The JPS Study Bible comments: "A little narrative illustrating the consequences of sloth. The sage passed by the field of the lazy man and saw it had gone wild. He draws a lesson by applying a proverb...." There is a direct connection between laziness and poverty. Laziness is the bridge to lack. These verses should be printed on a card and prominently displayed during the day so we do not neglect them.

I work in a secular business in addition to the ministry. My duties include the hiring of personnel. When I am interviewing someone, I listen to their words and I review their past work history. I am looking for indicators of either a solid work ethic or laziness. This verse guides me because I don't want a lazy person's poverty coming to me. Individually, we need to make sure that we are not allowing a little slumber to come on us. We need a solid work ethic. Whatever we do, we should do to the Lord. The lazy person that professes faith is telling the world that their God is also lazy. Our God is not lazy; He is actively involved in the lives of all men and women. We should imitate Him by working hard for His glory, regardless of the work being performed. You might be a doctor or a lawyer, or you might be a homemaker. The type of work doesn't matter, but the effort and ethic does.

Today, examine your work ethic. Don't allow sloth to be a description others can fairly attribute to you. Whatever job you have, do it unto the Lord. He has given every one of us talents. Whether you have one or one hundred, use them for His kingdom.

No comments: