Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Daily Word: The Secrets of the Lord

Note: There is a short blog post I made on "True Faith" that goes together with today's Daily Word. It can be read at www.bjmi.blogspot.com.

Proverbs 25:2 says: It is the glory of God to conceal a thing; But the glory of kings is to search out a matter. (ASV) The Greek thinker needs to have everything fit together in a nice neat order. In Greek thinking, understanding precedes obedience. One must understand how what is being asked of him makes sense before obedience is chosen. The Hebrew worldview is the exact opposite. To the Hebrew, obedience precedes understanding. Once the duty is known, obedience is the choice of action even if you don't know why. This verse can be a problem to a Greek thinker; however, to the Hebrew, it poses no difficulties. The fact that God conceals things from us is not a problem. The Hebrew says, "God will cause me to understand when He wants me to understand. Until then, I simply obey what I know He wants me to do.

The JPS Study Bible comments: "It redounds to God's glory to create mysteries in the world...." I have pondered why the Holocaust occurred. Six million Jews, including one and one half million children, went to their deaths. Many would be quoting Scripture. Psalm 91 clearly promises protection to those that believe in God. Where was that protection to God's chosen people to whom He still had a covenant with? The answer is that I don't know. Why did over three thousand die on September 11, 2001? Where was God's protecting hand? I don't know. Why are children born with severe birth defects that render them unable to have a meaningful life? I don't know. However, there is something I do know: The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law. (KJV) (Deuteronomy 29:29) I know that some secrets are kept from us. My approach is Hebraic: "Lord, I trust you and I will obey you no matter what my eyes see or my ears hear."

Today, confront yourself. Are there issues that remain unresolved with you? Are there prayers that you have not seen answered yet? Do the secrets of the Lord trouble you? I urge you to arrive a station in life that you will trust the Lord no matter the circumstances or the reports of man. When you get there, you will be walking in faith.

No comments: