Sunday, September 19, 2010

Yom Kippur Part 2

I have been asked, "How do you reconcile celebrating the Day of Atonement with the atoning sacrifice of Yeshua?" This is a legitimate question that deserves a honest answer. In Leviticus 23:26-27, the word reads: And the ADONAI said to Moses, On the tenth day of this seventh month is the day of atonement; it shall be for you a time of set apart convocation, and you shall afflict yourselves and present an offering by fire to ADONAI. And you shall do no work on this same day; for it is a day of atonement, to make atonement for you before the ADONAI your Elohim. Notice the bold portion of the text. The Jews were to afflict themselves, which was interpreted to mean a complete fast, in an effort to pay for their sins. As a follower of Yeshua, I acknowledge His affliction for my sins. Yesterday, I celebrated the Day of Atonement, but I did not afflict my body. It was a celebration that I went before Elohim and asked for forgiveness for all I had done wrong in the preceding year. Also, I took great comfort that His book was sealed which included all the good things He will send to me in the coming year. Because of Yeshua, I celebrated my right standing with Elohim, but I keep the Day of Atonement in all other aspects.

After the resurrection of Yeshua, the early believers in Jerusalem keep the Biblical feasts and holidays, which included the Day of Atonement. Whatever Yeshua taught them in the 40 days after His resurrection, it did not include an abandonment of the Torah. The disconnect from the Hebraic roots came centuries later as gentiles dominated the church. The question you must ask yourself is, "Who or what am I following?" "Am I following Yeshua, or a man-made religion that is separate from that practiced by Yeshua and the early followers.

Today, listen to see if anyone mentions the Day of Atonement. Then ask yourself, "Why?" Why are we so afraid of following Yeshua, really following Him? Be careful, the answer might turn your world upside down.

No comments: