Saturday, October 11, 2008

We Need To Be Still

I sense that there are major battles taking place in the spiritual realm. So much is at stake: our nation's future direction, our national economy and the global repercussions. This is a time for the believer to come before the Lord and be still and seek Him. We need to remember that God is faithful and He will not desert us. I wrote in today's devotional one way to come before Him:

One of the methods that I have found successful is to find a quiet place away from distractions. Get comfortable, either by sitting in a chair or standing, and begin to meditate on a small passage of Scripture. For example, recently I focused on the phrase "God is faithful" from 1 Corinthians 10:13. Over and over I thought about God's faithfulness. I thought about how faithful He had been to me over the years even when I was disobedient to Him. I thought about His faithfulness to those I had read about in the Bible. I spoke and thought the words: "God is faithful." After 15 minutes of doing nothing more than think about His promise of faithfulness, I was now ready to petition Him for "our daily bread." Just as God provided manna, i.e. daily bread, for the children of Israel in the wilderness, He would also provide our daily bread today. Why? Because He is the same faithful God.

This is not a time to be fearful; it is a time to draw close to God and battle on our knees. God is faithful and we His people must draw closer to Him now more than ever before. Future generations (if there are any) will look back to this time and the life they have will have been impacted by what we do. Let us answer the call to pray, fast and be still before God. Psalm 46:10 says: "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth."

1 comment:

Barry said...

Amen to that! Thinking on God's faithfulness will certanily encourage the spirit and help us to stay focused on the fact that the battle is not ours but he Lord's!