Friday, December 19, 2008

Ted Haggard's Documentary

The Associated Press reported this week:

Disgraced evangelical leader Ted Haggard says in a new documentary that he still struggles with his sexuality yet is committed to his marriage for the sake of his children.

Haggard, 52, resigned as president of the National Association of Evangelicals and was fired as senior pastor of New Life Church in Colorado Springs in November 2006 after a former male prostitute went public with allegations that Haggard paid him for sex and used methamphetamine.

A father of five, Haggard had said he bought the drugs but never used them. He confessed to undisclosed "sexual immorality" and has said, "I really did sin."

The Gazette of Colorado Springs reported Thursday that in the documentary, Haggard talks about a lifelong battle with his sexuality — and that he never claimed to be heterosexual.

"The reason I kept my personal struggle a secret is because I feared that my friends would reject me, abandon me and kick me out, and the church would exile and excommunicate me. And that happened and more," he says.

"The Trials of Ted Haggard," directed by Alexandra Pelosi, daughter of U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, is set to air Jan. 29 on HBO. The Associated Press reported Wednesday that Haggard has agreed to promote the documentary.

Again, I am amazed; a major Christian minister has a sexual fall and then sells his story to HBO. Is this Biblical? Will this bring glory to God? I honestly don't know but given that the director is the daughter of Nancy Pelosi, I would suspect that it will be a film that promotes sympathy for Haggard's problem and will include a call for acceptance of homosexuality. I anticipate the suggestion that Haggard was made this way and look what the church is doing to someone and they can't help it.

What Haggard did was sin, plain and simple. If he is a real Christian, then the Holy Spirit will convict him of his sin and Haggard will repent. Let us pray for this man and most importantly his wife and children. As we approach 2009, let us commit to standing for Biblical truth no matter the cost and no matter how intolerant we appear. This is not about popularity, it is about God and His Laws. May Ted Haggard join us in this stand.

No comments: