Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dealing With Delay

Are there things in your life that you want to change? Is there something you have been praying for, but you have not seen the answer. Do you feel discouraged because of the delay between the time of your request and the answer you sought? Many face this problem. It can cause one to become depressed and lose faith in the God who hears and answers prayers. Sometimes I ask God, "Why have you not done that for me?" I don't want a theological answer from someone who tells me that God doesn't do miracles anymore. Neither do I want someone to tell me that it is my fault. I want God in action. Yet, I am confronted with delay.

Delay can be crushing. However, when we focus on the Word of God, the problem begins to disappear. Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now, faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Faith is evidence. The Greek word for "substance" refers to the residue of an experiment that has been performed. Our faith is evidence that we will receive that for which we have sought from God. Now of course, the request must be consistent with God's will. His will is His Word. He exalts His Word above all else. He watches over His Word to insure that it comes to past. While I am in delay stage, I do the following:
1. I verify that my request is according to the will of God. I find a Bible passage and read it to God.
2. I speak my faith that I believe and act on the passage I have just read to God.
3. I believe that I receive what I have spoken.
4. I thank God for His answer.

That is the key to dealing with delay; we are to have faith in God's Word. To the Hebrew, words are tangible. As I speak faith, faith exists. As I continue to speak the result of faith, I shall possess that which I seek. Remember, this is not some "name it, claim it," because it is based on specific provisions in the Word of God. It is declaring that I have what God says I have. It is speaking that I am what God says I am. If God says it, then it is now. And, there is plenty of evidence to support it.

No comments: